Thursday, July 31, 2008

How old did I get?

A lively discussion over coffee and a wicked brownie yesterday brought this question up….how old are we?

Logically 24...but then when did I start to feel the change? When did the days of throwing tantrums go…or the ones when I sought to be constantly pampered and no one dared to tell me “grow up”. When did I stop looking at cute guys and started getting attracted to the smart ones, when did I start getting offended at men being chivalrous in an obvious way and when did I start to use the sentence “You need to think now” from “You need to chill”

When you qualify for being young, you don’t seek answers for a lot of things and settle for what you get. You know you are getting old when you start to re question everything, scrutinize it for its existence, justify your stand and then spend your time contradicting the justified point. “Old” is associated to being less strong, more lethargic…I guess this is where the energy is spent.

Spending hours on the phone with my boyfriend was a common practice then but now I would feel guilty of doing the same. It would make me think that “Man, do I really not have anything better to do?” Infact the very term, boyfriend, sounds like a sugar coated bubblegum romance threw up on me, and I think I should be more “mature”. Sitting idle in front of my computer since the past two days and doing nothing but whiling my time on Gtalk and listening to music has irritated me to the core. I look for work because I feel wasted. The constant need to make something out of what I call life is always there. I don’t know what I want really, because I am in the process of contradicting the many justified points in my life.

Friends were always there. Our fights were all about who calls and who doesn’t, well most of them. Now its understood if you cant call, if you don’t pick up the phone out of sheer laziness after a days work, if you think that they should understand and you don’t need to explain and if they ask for an explanation you can tell them to grow up and they buy it.

The other day a guy was hitting on me in office, which is a common practice for people “our” age in office. And all I could think was does he not know that he’s much older than I am. He is 29. A Mcdonalds or a Whimpy’s isn’t good enough anymore for a date, if it is, you are either ‘chilled out’ or a ‘cheap skate’. A weekend is more to laze, a silence holds more meanings (because you don’t have to waste the energy on talking), a hug or I love you is a rarity and when said and done, special. A day that would comprise having roadside food, getting sloshed and sitting at marine drive for hours in the rain would be “feeling young”. How old am I? well at least now I know why they say…”You are 24 years OLD”

5 comments:

Sigo said...

The girl is maturing.....and identifying with the perils of growing up...
But I am sure as this feeling "grows" on you, you would come to like it...anyways you would soon realize that you won't have much of a choice...
Anyways, its not the lack of energy or energy spent in thoughts that defines the laze....it’s just you are now more wiser and know that spending energy on anything that would require physical energy is probably not worth the effort....you act mature and term those countless hours spend on a chatting client and endless calls as adolescent and puppy-ish....but deep down inside you know its not the adolescence or the puppy-ish nature of the conversation that worries you.....it's just that you are lazy and over the time you have found the conversations to be redundant....
Enough blabbering from my side.....I don’t want to write anymore...(Am I not a fine specimen of the "grown-up and mature" kind :D)
Oh...btw....hitting on someone is not bound by age....love (or should I call it sheer desperation) sees no age....in fact it grows as we grow up :)!!

Sreeiyrngar12 g. Com said...

Life, with its twisted sense of humor subjects us to such senseless ( or are they? ) philosophies from time to time.

We want to do mature things when we are young and want to be childish once we are old.The point where it starts to go crazy is when you start asking questions about your existence in the greater scheme of things which in my opinion changes the whole perspective of our outlook of day to day activities.

In my opinion, everybody is already old when they are born...Life just gives em a grace period of 20 - 25 yrs to digest this fact.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

hey

great writing, and i feel 29-30 is not old for you, if guys are good at this age then it shouldnt matter, well then its my opinion.

rgds
Laxmi

Supriya said...

More than 10 years hence and I disagree with so much I wrote :) growing up is a constant function. One also plays jump rope with it because as I grow older, I do not want to let go of that inner child that is still dreamy, full of energy and wonder. All I can say is it's time to rewrite or perhaps write something new...but it's still great to revisit what I wrote..

Supriya said...

I wish I would have replied to this comment at that time and I wish I knew why I didn't...I agree with your observation on this dramatically incorrect blog that I'm still reading for perspective ;) hope u r well