Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Candy Man

A penny I earned, and the penny I saved,

For every grade I scored, for every promise I made

The candy man would come, at the clock of five

I saw the kids circle him, like bees on a hive

He came with a box full, which rolled around

The children with their riches, went round and round

The reds and oranges, colors of the rainbow

The wind carried music, when the whistle he would blow

I ran to the window side, just to catch a glimpse

He was the answer to all my fancies, and all my whims

The breeze smelt fresh, with the fragrance of honey

I wanted to buy the best sweets with all my money

I was the patient kid and I was Santa’s favorite child

Countless nights without the toys, I never sighed

A penny was all I wanted, to put in my piggy bank

To have that choicest candy about which Billy would yank

I would shake the pink animal, to hear the coins sing

Every time I put in a penny and shook, it would ring

Days passed into weeks, months started to come by

I kept running to the window pane, the candy man I’d eye

I believed in my dream, I believed it so much

To me it was a life, a life I could feel and touch

For I deserved the sugar drops, I was the good girl

The candy man was my pied piper, the candy my world

The day came, I no longer heard the coins ring

And upon breaking the pink animal, a joy it would bring

I ran to the window, this time a little faster

From the yearning little girl, I was now the master

Dawn broke into dusk but I didn’t hear the whistle blow

What took him so long, I did not know

Days also passed by, the wait was now longer

I wanted to cry out loud and stop being the good daughter

I wished to smell the fragrance, wished for the red one

All I did was watch the stars, and then rising of the sun

I assured myself that he was coming, he was just running late

And with hope I sit by the window, and patiently I wait

3 comments:

Abhishek said...

nice one...reminds me of my childhood days

Sketcher said...

hey...
got introduced by a friend of yours to this page... and well... this blog is part of my fav's list. :)
I like your style... simple, plain, amazing.

abhaysac said...

gr888 poetry.........awesome rhyming.....u are a gr88 writer[:)]